Thursday, October 4, 2007

SF Trip Meal #1: Pancho Villa

An award winning salsa bar draws the crowds at Pancho Villa Taqueria (Mission and 16th). A bright green salsa verde is the most memorable choice from the bar. It's far too salty, but that’s made up for by the chunks of avocado within. As an East Coaster, I usually scoff at heat advisories. The 'hot' labels at Baja Fresh? No problemo. But I quickly learned that they take 'hot' labels for real in California. Whole roasted jalapeƱos and jalapeƱos and carrots en vinegar, meant to be used sparingly as a topping, make a great free side dish at first. I already requested the hot pico de gallo on my carne asada burrito. After my habanero hors d' oeuvres and after stuffing a few extras into my burrito, I'm tearing in no time. Mom calls to see how my trip is going, but I'm forced to get off the phone because I can't keep from crying and chewing the ice from my drained glass of horchata. The pain was so intense that I couldn't be bothered to take a picture of the burrito sans foil (see photo).

Along with the salsa bar, the variety of the English friendly menu also helps distinguish Pancho from its competitors. Choose from 12 meats from a mouthwatering chicken in green or red sauce to tofu ranchero. There's 4 types of beans and 5 wrap choices. The only Spanish being spoken is by a young woman there to apply for a job, and despite the heat, the enormous, all English menu leaves the impression that the place caters mostly to American palates. Tofu ranchero burrito with a sundried tomato tortilla, anyone?

http://panchovillasf.com/

No comments: